Eggs are considered the” incredible edible” protein and are so versatile.
Use these tips for buying and storing eggs:
• Select clean, fresh eggs from refrigerated display cases.
Avoid dirty or cracked eggs, which may be contaminated
with harmful bacteria.
• Refrigerate eggs in their cartons so they do not absorb
refrigerator odors. Be sure to store eggs with the pointed
ends down, which maintains freshness by keeping the yolks
centered and the air cells stable.
• Fresh eggs can be refrigerated for up to 5 weeks after the
packing date (a number stamped on the carton from 1 to
365, with 1 representing January 1 and 365 representing
Eggs are rich in protein, low in sodium, and high in vitamins and minerals. Boiling is a healthy, easy way to cook eggs. Here is a foolproof technique for for hard-boiling eggs, whether it is just one egg for breakfast or a dozen or deviled eggs to bring to a party or a picnic.
One dozen large eggs
A saucepan with a lid
A large bowl filled with ice water
1. Gently place all the eggs that you intend to cook in a single layer inside a large saucepan so they will cook evenly. Do not stack them.
2. Fill the pan with cool tap water, enough to cover the eggs by an inch or two.
3. Place the pan on high heat and bring the water to a rapid boil. Water will have large, rapidly breaking bubbles.
4. Once boiling, Immediately remove pan from heat and turn off the heat.Cover the pan with the lid. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes.
5. Drain the eggs, then run cold water over them or place them in a large bowl filled with ice water for a minute or so, until the eggs cool.
6. To peel an egg, gently tap it on the counter to crack the shell. Use your fingers to peel off the shell. Rinse the peeled egg under cold water to remove any remaining bits of shell, and eat immediately.If eggs are not going to be eaten or used immediately, refrigerate the eggs in their shells for up to a week.
• If are using the eggs right away, crack the shells gently before putting them in the ice bath. This will help them peel more easily.
You must be logged in to post a comment.